Sunrise Pet Hospital, located in Anaheim, CA, offers a full range of services in a comfortable, state-of-the-art facility. We are a leading animal hospital offering everything from emergency care and x-rays to surgery and microchipping. We even have an on-site lab and pharmacy, so there's no need to go running from place to place.
We treat all major and minor injuries and conditions. If you believe your pet is suffering from arthritis and are thinking "where is there a pet hospital near me that treats pet joint problems", then look no further. Read on for some useful information regarding arthritis in pets.
What Is Arthritis?
Arthritis occurs when the cartilage that protects the bones of a joint deteriorates and causes friction between the bones. This can cause pain and inflammation, making it difficult to move and get around.
What Causes Arthritis In Pets?
Arthritis in pets can be caused by many factors including:
- Congenital conditions like hip dysplasia (certain dog breeds are especially susceptible)
- Infections and bacteria caused by ticks (like rocky mountain spotted fever)
- Trauma (broken bones or repeated injury)
- Poor diet
Signs And Symptoms Of Arthritis In Pets
All pets are different, but if you notice any of these symptoms that last more than a few days, call your vet.
- Difficulty getting up or lying down
- Seems stiff when walking
- You hear popping or crunching
- Not wanting to walk or go up and down stairs
- No interest in playing
- Loss of appetite
- Sleeping more than usual
- Urinating in unusual places
- Unable to jump like normal
Treatments For Pets With Arthritis
Various treatment options are available for your pet. Your vet will consult with you to decide on the best course of treatment. It could include:
- Weight Control: Studies have shown that weight loss considerably improves mobility
- Dietary Changes: Food containing fatty acids can improve symptoms
- Exercise: Helps keep joints supple
- Animal Physical Therapy: This could include massage, electrical stimulation, and underwater treadmills
- Natural Remedies: Over-the-counter supplements like fish oil, glucosamine, and chondroitin
- medications like aspirin, cortisone, and Adequan (only do this when prescribed by the veterinarian)
- Surgery: This is a last resort to clear cartilage debris, repair bone or replace damaged hip and elbow joints.
Schedule an Appointment With Our Veterinarian in Anaheim, CA
If you are in the Anaheim, CA, area and are thinking, "I need pet medical services near me", contact Sunrise Pet Hospital today. We are in the business of helping pets because we love them. Our kind and courteous staff is happy to help with anything you and your pet need. Call us today at (714) 283-0227 for more information or to schedule an appointment.