Pet Eye Infections and How A Veterinarian Can Help
No matter what type of pet you have, eye infections can be frustrating and can adversely affect the general health of your pet. If you have an animal who is suffering from an eye infection in the Anaheim Hills area, your friends at the Sunrise Pet Hospital are here to help. The following is a list of signs and symptoms of pet eye infections as well as what we can do to help.
Signs of Pet Eye Infections
The symptoms of a pet eye infection are very similar to humans. The following is a list of the signs that your pet may have an eye infection:
- Excessive squinting or blinking
- Eye redness or swelling
- Discharge that is watery, thick, and/or smelly
- One of both eyes is closed
- Sensitivity to light
- Pawing at the eye
Causes of Pet Eye Infections
Now that we have reviewed the symptoms of pet eye infections, let's take a look at some of the most common causes:
- Irritants like shampoo and smoke
- Foreign objects
- Scratches or cuts to the cornea
- Dry eye
- Vitamin deficiency
- Eyelid abnormalities
Treatments for Pet Eye Infections
Depending on the cause of the eye infection, your pet may be offered a different treatment than other animals with it. The following is an overview of the treatments we offer to help pets recover from eye infections:
- Removing the Irritant: One of the top treatments for eye infections involves simply removing the irritants. Often, the underlying cause for eye infection is simply dust or other small particles that can easily be removed.
- Pain Medication: If your pet needs to have something removed from their eye or are otherwise in extreme pain, he will likely be given pain medication for a limited time.
- Antibiotics: In some instances, your pet may be prescribed antibiotics as well as a saline wash to help clear up the infection.
- Surgery: In other instances, the issue may be so severe that surgery is required.
- Antihistamines and Other Medications: If the cause of the eye infection is an allergy or other medical issue, your pet will be prescribed antihistamines and/or other medications.
Call Us for Pet Eye Infections Treatment
If you are a resident of the Anaheim Hills area and have a pet you believe may be suffering from an eye infection, we're here to help. Simply contact our team of experts at 714-283-0227 and schedule an appointment with your friends at Sunrise Pet Hospital.